Food Chain Workers Alliance
Job Announcement: Lead Organizer
The Food Chain Workers Alliance (FCWA) is a bi-national coalition of 33 worker-based organizations whose members plant, harvest, process, pack, transport, prepare, serve, and sell food, organizing to improve wages and working conditions for all workers along the food chain.
FCWA members organize locally and collectively to build a system that values and respects food workers and ensures that they share in the wealth of their labor and have the power to shape their working conditions and their lives. We believe this change is only possible with worker-based organization, worker solidarity, and the leadership of people of color, immigrants, women, and other frontline workers in alliance with a larger food movement grounded in social, racial and environmental justice. The Alliance has worked to fulfill this mission through worker-based organizing, worker leadership development, and critical policy innovations and interventions.
We are seeking to hire an experienced organizer to co-lead our expanding organizing program alongside our members and our current organizing team. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated commitment to worker and racial justice with experience in worker-based, community-based and/or union organizing. Read more below.
Main Responsibilities include:
- Build Food Chain Workers Alliance’s organizing program with support from co-directors.
- Work with member committees, the FCWA board, and current staff organizing team to identify, develop, and implement new member-driven organizing opportunities and collective campaigns.
- Work with FCWA organizing team to provide strategic support to food workers organizing among our membership base.
- Co-facilitate FCWA member movement building committee to help shape the strategic direction of our work.
- Support the FCWA Growth and Learning programs to build the organizing skills and the leadership of food workers, including regional training and our annual leader summit.
- Facilitate cross-member solidarity through coordinating sector calls, organizing skill-shares and webinars, and organizer roundtables
- Support the growth of both our member groups and new food worker organizations
- Working with FCWA Co-Directors to develop and support a new regional organizer program
Our IDEAL CANDIDATE will possess the following:
- A minimum of 5-years of experience in grassroots organizing, with a strong preference for prior experience in workers’ rights organizing, whether through unions or worker centers.
- Demonstrated ability of meaningful engagement with marginalized workers and communities including immigrant, women, people of color, and/or gender non-conforming people.
- Demonstrated commitment to building racial and social justice centered in worker leadership, community organizing, and popular education.
- Experience building multi-racial and diverse coalitions and campaign strategies that center worker or directly affected community members’ leadership
- Experience designing and facilitating organizing training using popular education methodologies
- Ability to travel several times per year
- Good time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Detail-oriented and ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills and verbal communication skills
- High levels of self-motivation and independence, as well as the ability to work as a team
- Ability and willingness to occasionally work non-traditional hours such as nights and weekends
- Bi- or multi-lingual (oral and written) in Spanish and/or another language is a plus
The location for this position is flexible, though ideally it will be based in a region where there are current or potential FCWA members. Ideally, the position will begin in early August 2020, but the start date is flexible.
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary commensurate with experience and excellent benefits package.
The FCWA is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, women, non-binary, and LGBTQ individuals to apply.
TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by July 15, 2020 to: email@example.com