Media Coverage of the Food Chain Workers Alliance
The Food Chain Workers Alliance has published two reports. Click here to see the media coverage from the release of “The Hands That Feed Us: Challenges and Opportunities for Workers Along the Food Chain” in June 2012 and “A Dime A Day: The Impact of the Miller/Harkin Minimum Wage Proposal on the Price of Food” in October 2012.
In November of 2013 we celebrated our second annual International Food Worker Week. It was an absolute and resounding success! Together with our allies we:
- Educated over 1 million people through social and other media about the need to raise the minimum wage for food workers, here is a smattering of some of the media we got: Al Jazeera, Raj Patel on Huff Post, Corporate Accountability International, Food Integrity Campaign, Food Tank, Civil Eats, Institute on Agriculture and Trade Policy, Center for a Livable Future, Walthan News Tribune, La Voz, Workers World and many others!
- Made it over 100,000 signatures in our petition to raise the minimum wage! We went over 100,000 during our Twitterstorm Tuesday last week, however please tweet these senators now to let them know food workers need a raise.
- Held actions in 14 different cities to support food workers’ organizing campaigns and 4 local events held specifically for the week.
These victories show the growing need to lift food workers struggles into the forefront of our culture. We are proud to be able to partner with you and look forward to continuing to make worker justice a reality!
- “Did You Eat Today? Thank a Food Worker“, by Michele Simon, Appetite for Profit (also on the Huffington Post, Food Safety News, and TreeHugger.com)
- “Do You Have Any Idea Who’s Bringing Your Dinner?”, by Steve Holt, Take Part
- “Celebrate Food Workers Week by being uncharacteristically nice at the grocery Store“, by Susie Cagle, Grist.org
- “Got Food? Thank Food Workers” on the Frying Pan News and reprinted on Unionosity.com, by FCWA Director Joann Lo
- A shorter version of “Got Food? Thank Food Workers” on GOOD.is
- “Celebrating Food Workers Week“, on PaidSickDaysforAll.org
Other articles and news reports featuring or written by FCWA:
- FCWA’s Executive Director Joann Lo’s talk at Yale University was featured in an article “Yale grad fights for workers up and down the ‘food chain’” in the New Haven Register on 2/18/14
- FCWA’s new video “Guess Who’s Coming to Breakfast?” is featured in the Detriot Metro Times Blog : Today is Food Day
- FCWA Campaign & Education Coordinator Diana Robinson and ROC NY member Carolina Portillo are featured on this segment on Heritage Radio on 10/3/13. Listen here: http://www.heritageradionetwork.com/episodes/4825-Everything-s-On-the-Table-Episode-3-Food-Economy-Jobs
- FCWA’s report “The Hands That Feed Us” is cited in this op-ed “Paid Sick Leave for Food Workers Leaves Us All Healthier,” by Paul Kinzie, in the Baltimore Sun, August 6, 2013
- FCWA Campaign and Education Coordinator Diana Robinson spoke on Food Sleuth Radio about union organizing, immigration reform and food workers July 18, 2013.
- FCWA Executive Director Joann Lo is quoted in this Food Integrity Campaign blog post about Anti-Whistle blower Ag Gag Laws, July 30, 2013
- FCWA’s Report The Hands That Feed Us is featured in this Mother Jones article “McDonald’s to Employees: Get a (Second) Job” — By Tom Philpott| Fri Jul. 26, 2013
- FCWA and Diana Robinson, our campaign & education coordinator, are featured in a handout entitled “The Hands That Feed Us” on the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility‘s website issues page under food, one of the priority issues of the ICCR, Spring 2013
- FCWA’s report, CIW’s Fair Food Program are mentioned and Saru Jayaraman Co-founder & Co-Director of Alliance member ROC United is interviewed in this article “Courting Foodies: The Modern “Fair Food” Movement”, by Sarah Childress, Frontline, PBS, June 25, 2013
- Diana Robinson, our campaign & education coordinator, spoke on the Carl in the Morning Radio Show June 24, 2013
- FCWA and Alliance member ROC United are mentioned in “Meet Up, Eat Up, Act Up: Consumers Join the Movement for Food Workers’ Rights” by Tory Field and Beverly Bell, Other Worlds | Harvesting Justice Series, June 16, 2013
- FCWA’s report is mentioned in “Bursey: Can being too business-friendly make you sick?” By Brett Bursey in The State, a South Carolina news outlets, June 5, 2013
- FCWA and members featured in “From Field To Table: Rights for Workers in the Food Supply Chain,” By Tory Field and Beverly Bell, Other Worlds | Harvesting Justice Series on Truth-Out.org, May 19, 2013
- FCWA Report “The Hands That Feed Us” featured on Up W/ Chris on MSNBC when Saru Jayaraman, author of Behind the Kitchen Door, was on to talk about her book and restaurant workers, March 2, 2013
- FCWA Report “The Hands That Feed Us” highlighted in “Top 10 Reasons to Care About Food Workers” on the Huffington Post, Appetite for Profit, and other sites by Michele Simon, February 14, 2013
- Diana Robinson, our campaign & education coordinator, spoke on Third Eye Weekly on Breakthrough Radio, February 14, 2013
- Joann Lo, our executive director, co-authored “Food Movement: Another ‘Sleeping Giant’ Awakens on Immigration Reform” on Civil Eats, with Navina Khanna (Movement Strategy Center & Live Real) and Catherine Tactiquin (National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights), February 11, 2013
- FCWA Report “The Hands That Feed Us” highlighted in “Can the Food Industry Kick its Cheap Labor Habit?” by Twilight Greenaway, TakePart.com, February 4, 2013
- FCWA mentioned in “Care about Your Food? Then Care about Your Farmworkers Too“, by Laura-Anne Minkoff-Zern, Yes!, January 30, 2013
- FCWA’s work to raise support for increasing the minimum wage among leaders, organizations, and businesses in the food movement featured in “Guess How Much Some Servers Make? (Hint: It’s Less Than $3)“, by Steve Holt, TakePart.com, January 28, 2013
- FCWA Report “The Hands That Feed Us” cited in “Food Movement, Meet Labor Movement”, by Rebecca Burns, In These Times, Oct. 24, 2012
- FCWA mentioned in “The Food Movement Rising“, by Anna Lappé, Earth Island Journal, Oct. 24, 2012
- FCWA mentioned in “Farmers, Workers, Consumers, Unite! New Visions in Food Justice”, by Yvonne Yen Liu, Yes!magazine, Oct. 15, 2012
- FCWA Report “The Hands That Feed Us” cited in “U.S. Recessions Deplete Middle-Skill Jobs, Study Finds”, Huffington Post, October 15, 2012
- FCWA Cover article in “The Real Food Chain”, RESIST Newsletter, March/April 2012
- FCWA Quoted in “Employers not liable if workers skip breaks, court rules“, by Tiffany Hsu, Los Angeles Times, April 13, 2012
- FCWA Featured in “Workers Challenge Big Food“, by Jenny Brown, Labor Notes, Nov. 23, 2011