In November of 2013 we celebrated our second annual International Food Worker Week. It was an absolute and resounding success! Together with our allies we:
- Educated over 1 million people through social and other media about the need to raise the minimum wage for food workers, here is a smattering of some of the media we got: Al Jazeera, Raj Patel on Huff Post, Corporate Accountability International, Food Integrity Campaign, Food Tank, Civil Eats, Institute on Agriculture and Trade Policy, Center for a Livable Future, Walthan News Tribune, La Voz, Workers World and many others!
- Made it over 100,000 signatures in our petition to raise the minimum wage! We went over 100,000 during our Twitterstorm Tuesday last week, however please tweet these senators now to let them know food workers need a raise.
- Held actions in 14 different cities to support food workers’ organizing campaigns and 4 local events held specifically for the week.
These victories show the growing need to lift food workers struggles into the forefront of our culture. We are proud to be able to partner with you and look forward to continuing to make worker justice a reality!
- “Did You Eat Today? Thank a Food Worker“, by Michele Simon, Appetite for Profit (also on the Huffington Post, Food Safety News, and TreeHugger.com)
- “Do You Have Any Idea Who’s Bringing Your Dinner?”, by Steve Holt, Take Part
- “Celebrate Food Workers Week by being uncharacteristically nice at the grocery Store“, by Susie Cagle, Grist.org
- “Got Food? Thank Food Workers” on the Frying Pan News and reprinted on Unionosity.com, by FCWA Director Joann Lo
- A shorter version of “Got Food? Thank Food Workers” on GOOD.is
- “Celebrating Food Workers Week“, on PaidSickDaysforAll.org